Huma Energy Gels
Huma Energy Gels$27.95 ($2.33/unit - 12 per box)
How I rated the gels:I broke down each brand's product line into organic vs non-organic and then any additional differences such as the type of energy gel. Instead of writing a review on every single flavor, I commented on the flavor within each category. Since there are so many different flavors of gels I didn't rate on the specific flavor, instead, I noted my own comments on each flavor tested. I tried not to let the actual flavor interfere with the overall taste. If I did have a biased against a flavor I noted this in the comments next to the product. To rate the energy gels I used four factors on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being the lowest score and 10 being the highest score:
1. Energy AvailabilityThis is how quickly the energy became available after taking the gel.
2. Energy DurationThe most important factor was judged on how much energy was given from the gel. A scientific lab experiment was not done on the exact energy outputs of each gel. Instead, I ran a total of 3 miles (30 minutes - because I pace easily at 10 minutes/mile) during each energy gel test. I ran each morning at the same time on an empty stomach to baseline the results as best as I could. I took one gel 15 minutes before each 30-minute running session. Note: energy gels are meant to be taken when your run duration lasts 90 minutes or longer. I'm not advising you to take a gel for a 30-minute run. These test runs were done as close to a baseline as possible to get a decent set of comparable results. I will be updating this post at a later date that rates each gel for longer distance runs with multiple gel packs consumed.
3. AvailabilityIs the product available in physical stores and in big online stores?
4. Natural ingredientsHow many natural ingredients does the product have?
Full Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links for which, LERK Publishing, LLC., may make a small commission at no extra cost to you should you make a purchase.
Huma Plus received the exact same ratings as normal Huma so I didn’t include the rankings for the overall review. You can find the individual Huma Plus review here. Huma Plus is primarily used for ultra racing such as marathons, ultra-marathons, and ironmans.
The energy was available after waiting 15 minutes.
Energy duration (30-minute test)
This gel hit the mark with keeping my energy level up for the 30-minute test. I was able to mentally focus without any cloudiness. The energy sustained my pace for close to 30 minutes. No dragging whatsoever.
These gels aren’t at all running stores nor big chain grocery stores carry these gels. They are abundantly available online through Amazon. Don’t forget that half marathons take planning so you’re not caught trying to find your energy gels at a store on race day morning. Check out this awesome half marathon checklist for half marathons which includes all items needed for a happy half marathon plus detailed information on what you need to do the week of your half marathon race.
- Blueberry – This gel had the consistency of apple sauce and it truly tasted like puree blueberries in a pouch. I was trying to find something wrong with the taste but I couldn’t. There is no overwhelming sweetness that you get from some of the other gels on the market. If you like natural ingredients then this one is for you. No stomach issues. No aftertaste.
- Strawberry – This gel had the consistency of apple sauce and it truly tasted like puree strawberries in a pouch. At one point in consuming the gel I thought that if I had a scoop of peanut butter it would taste like a strawberry and peanut butter sandwich. I was trying to find something wrong with the taste but I couldn’t. There is no overwhelming sweetness that you get from some of the other gels on the market. If you like natural ingredients then this one is for you. No stomach issues. No aftertaste.
- Serving size: 42 g
- Calories: 110
- Total Fat: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 105 mg
- Calcium: 2% DV
- Iron: 1% DV
- Potassium 1%
- Total Carbs: 21 g
- Total Sugars: 14 g (includes 13 g added sugar)
- Protein 1 g
- Vegan: Yes
- Gluten-free: Yes
- Organic: No
- Caffeine: 0 mg
- Take with water: Yes
- Blueberry Puree
- Cane Sugar
- Brown Rie Syrup
- Powdered Chia Seeds
- Blueberry Concentrate
- Sea Salt
- Citric Acid