Gu Roctane Energy Gel Review
How I rated the gels:I broke down each brand's product line into organic vs non-organic and then any additional differences such as the type of energy gel. Instead of writing a review on every single flavor, I commented on the flavor within each category. Since there are so many different flavors of gels I didn't rate on the specific flavor, instead, I noted my own comments on each flavor tested. I tried not to let the actual flavor interfere with the overall taste. If I did have a biased against a flavor I noted this in the comments next to the product. To rate the energy gels I used four factors on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being the lowest score and 10 being the highest score:
1. Energy AvailabilityThis is how quickly the energy became available after taking the gel.
2. Energy DurationThe most important factor was judged on how much energy was given from the gel. A scientific lab experiment was not done on the exact energy outputs of each gel. Instead, I ran a total of 3 miles (30 minutes - because I pace easily at 10 minutes/mile) during each energy gel test. I ran each morning at the same time on an empty stomach to baseline the results as best as I could. I took one gel 15 minutes before each 30-minute running session. Note: energy gels are meant to be taken when your run duration lasts 90 minutes or longer. I'm not advising you to take a gel for a 30-minute run. These test runs were done as close to a baseline as possible to get a decent set of comparable results. I will be updating this post at a later date that rates each gel for longer distance runs with multiple gel packs consumed.
3. AvailabilityIs the product available in physical stores and in big online stores?
4. Natural ingredientsHow many natural ingredients does the product have?
GU Roctane Energy Gel Review
Full Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links for which, LERK Publishing, LLC., may make a small commission at no extra cost to you should you make a purchase.
Special note – Rocatane gels are NOT needed for half marathons.
These gels are used primarily for ultra races and ironmans.
The energy was available after waiting 15 minutes.
Energy duration (30-minute test)
This gel hit the mark with keeping my energy level up for the 30-minute test. I was able to mentally focus without any cloudiness. The energy sustained my pace for 30 minutes. No dragging whatsoever.
These gels are the most widely available in the United States. They are also almost always at all running stores and sometimes found in big chain grocery stores. They are abundantly available online through Amazon and other retailers. Don’t forget that half marathons take planning so you’re not caught trying to find your energy gels at a store on race day morning. Check out this awesome half marathon checklist for half marathons which includes all items needed for a happy half marathon plus detailed information on what you need to do the week of your half marathon race.
Gu Roctane Energy Flavors Tested
- Strawberry Kiwi (1425 mg Amino Acids, 125 mg Sodium, 0 mg Caffeine) – Consistency was thick and tasted like a strawberry and kiwi mixed together. A little sweet but not too bad. No stomach issues. No aftertaste.
- Vanilla Orange (1425 mg Amino Acids, 125 mg Sodium, 35 mg Caffeine) – Consistency was thick and tasted like a push-up orange frozen popsicle. A little sweet but not too bad. No stomach issues. No aftertaste.
Gu Roctane Energy Flavors (Caffeine)
- Cold Brew Coffee (1425 mg Amino Acids, 125 mg Sodium, 70 mg Caffeine)
- Sea Salt Chocolate (1425 mg Amino Acids, 180 mg Sodium, 35 mg Caffeine)
- Chai Latte (1425 mg Amino Acids, 125 mg Sodium, 35 mg Caffeine)
- Blueberry Pomegranate (1425 mg Amino Acids, 125 mg Sodium, 35 mg Caffeine)
- Chocolate Coconut (1425 mg Amino Acids, 125 mg Sodium, 35 mg Caffeine)
- Vanilla Orange (1425 mg Amino Acids, 125 mg Sodium, 35 mg Caffeine)
- Cherry Lime (1425 mg Amino Acids, 125 mg Sodium, 35 mg Caffeine)
- Tutti Frutti (1425 mg Amino Acids, 125 mg Sodium, 35 mg Caffeine
Gu Roctane Energy Flavors (No Caffeine)
- Strawberry Kiwi (1425 mg Amino Acids, 125 mg Sodium, 0 mg Caffeine)
- Pineapple (1425 mg Amino Acids, 125 mg Sodium, 0 mg Caffeine)
- Lemonade (1425 mg Amino Acids, 180 mg Sodium, 0 mg Caffeine)
Gu Roctane Energy Nutritional Facts (Strawberry Kiwi)
- Serving size: 32 g
- Calories: 100
- Total Fat: 0 mg
- Sodium: 125 mg
- Calcium: 30 mg
- Total Carbs: 21 g
- Total Sugars: 6 g (included Added Sugars 6 g)
- Protein 0 g
- Vegan: Yes
- Gluten-free: Yes
- Organic: No
- Caffeine: 35 mg
- Take with water: Yes
Ingredients (Strawberry Kiwi)
- Sodium Citrate
- Potassium Citrate
- Citric Acid
- Malic Acid
- Calcium Carbonate
- Green Teas (Leaf) Extract (Contains Caffeine)
- Sea Salt
- Natural Flavors
- Gellan Gum
- Malic Acid
- Medium Chain Triglycerides
- Sodium Benzoate (preservative)
- Potassium Sorbate (preservative)